We took this Sunday afternoon to do some geocaching around Stone Mountain again, this time bringing a friend and hitting a number of spots.


The first one we looked for on our way around the mountain was at the end of the train line.  Good hiding place.  Too good, though.  We never found it.  But it’s there, because there have been logs posted since then where other did locate it.




So on we went to a cache in the playground.  Fortunately, having my youngest along meant we could get in "legally".  Unfortunately, there were a million mugglettes around.




Another DNF.  However, I did see a sight that gave me a chuckle; an indication of our cell-phone era.


We returned to the site of a previous DNF where the cache hider included a decoy.  I had wondered (here and in the official log) that the real cache may have been removed during some recent renovation.  However, the cache owner has since checked and indeed the cache is still there.  Again, unfortunately, even with additional help, we were unable to find the real cache.



OK, so quite the bummer of a run.  Fortunately, we had an ace in the hole.  Our friend had been geocaching at Stone Mountain before and knew the location of one, so we started off looking for it.  I will attest to the fact that he did not give any hints along the way, simply accompanying us as we followed the GPS.


On the way there, we came across 3 deer, and I got the best picture I could (which isn’t all that good) with my Blackberry camera fully zoomed in.


Finally, we closed in on the cache


And my older son, with caching-radar in good working order, looked at a particular location and thought, "That’s got to be it."  Indeed it was.


We signed the log, left out usual boondoggle, and took a plastic all-in-one thermometer/compass/magnifying glass thingie.



We placed it back in it’s hiding spot and hit the road.  It had been a very hot day already, and going 1-for-4 was a little depressing, but, as I always say, it did get us out of the house, which is always a good thing.